Gateway to the Arctic

Elections FAQs
Place a brief introductory paragraph here.
  • When are your elections held? 
  • Who is eligible to vote?
  • Etc.
How do I register to vote?

A potential voter in Kotzebue, after living here for thirty-days (30) can came to City Hall and request an application to register to vote that is provided by the State Division of Elections.  The application comes with a self-addressed stamped envelope provided by the State of Alaska.

After the application is received by the Division and reviewed by personnel the potential voter can expect to receive a Voter Registration card in the mail.  if an applicant does not have a physical address, the Division of Elections will either contact the individual by mail and/or telephone to get an estimated location of where the individual resides in Kotzebue.

How do I vote absentee?

A registered voter can come to the City of Kotzebue administrative offices to request a City ballot to vote absentee during the last two (2) weeks of September and usually the two-three (2/3) days before the municipal election in October.

For the Northwest Arctic Borough and/or State of Alaska election the voter will be required to contact the borough at 907-442-2500 to obtain that entity's requirements for voting in either the Borough or State election.

Do not hesitate to call the City at 442-3401 if you have any questions/concerns.

Where do I vote?

To vote absentee in person, come to City Hall from the last two weeks in September and two/three (2/3 days) between the hours of 8 a.m. to noon and 1 to 5 p.m. week days and make your request to the City Clerk.


to vote by mail, the voter needs to contact the City Clerk at 907-442-3401, extension 105 to  get directions on how to proceed to by mail.


For special needs voters contact the City Clerk at the telephone number above or come to City Hall, 258 A Third Street for specific information.


the first week of September of any year, the City Clerk publishes a notice about the election.  The information is provided to the radio station and posted at City Hall.  It will also posted on this website.

Who should I contact with further questions?